03 June 2008

Yes Oz has a Winter


The sky is pregnant with a swelling belly full of southern hemisphere storms.
It's been raining for 3 days now.
In his book on australia, bill bryson comments on how no one knows why Captain Cook decided to call this part of australia new south wales.
I think i've figured it out, it's wet, it's hilly and most of the people on the road drive as if they're drunk.

So, while the weather has once again spoiled my plans to actually leave the house and see some of the many sights in Sydney... I've had to find other ways to amuse myself.
What better way to do so, than to prepare myself for my next meeting with one of Australias poisionious animals. So I got out the "St Johns Ambulance, Australian First Aid" book, from the library.

Don't be scared by the list, in most of the cases the treatment is the same. Death. Slow and agonising.
Unless of course you happen to get bit/stung/impaled next to a St Johns Ambulance.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/6/08

    Have you ever considered Canada? We are friendly, and pretty good drivers and you don't potentially die every time you put your shoes on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)
    I did briefly toy with the idea of canada. In summer, definatly tempting. In winter, well at least you can expect it to be cold.
    But to be honest, it's too close to the states for me. No offence meant to kanuks, but I wouldn't want to live next door to your neighbours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous17/6/08

    Well I can understand how you feel about the States, a lot of us here think they are obnoxious, but the only major intrusion in our daily lives is television programming. The majority of our stations are American. Not all of our provinces get snow and the further south you travel the less snow accumulation there is. Vancouver, British Columbia is quite mild year round with the majority of their precipitation in winter being rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Vancouver, British Columbia is quite mild year round with the majority of their precipitation in winter being rain"
    Sounds like home!
    Personaly, I'm wondering why none of the Australian who convinced me to come here mentioned that Newzealand doesn't have poisonous snakes, spiders or fish!

    ReplyDelete