22 June 2008

News, Views and Prospects.

So it's been a week since my last post.
Lot's of things have happened in the last week to keep me busy. A quite novel experience.

Most important in my mind, the southern hemisphere winter solstace.

So now I can officially look forward to summer, and the weather and dark days theoreticaly MUST get better from now on in. Low and behold in 6 months I may even be complaining that it's to hot, instead of shivering next to the only heater in our apartment.

Other incidents of note this week.
Some people actually want to talk to me about jobs. I had 3 interview situations last week. Several more are organised for this week. And suitable jobs have started popping up on all of the Job Sites. (Although K. would have you believe that I just wasn't looking hard enough before.)
I've even managed to wear-in my interview shoes, so I no longer limp into interviews. Instead I have progressed to a kind of shuffle which seems to remind most people of a Green Mile walk.
Naturally, some of these interviews were with recruiters, who often like to check that you have all of your limbs attached, and can find an anonymous office in the Sydney CBD before forwarding your resume to actual employees. However, eventually one of these recruiters has to find me a job, murphys law dictates they can't always sell me a goose.

K's looking forward to her holidays. I'm looking forward to working.
And unfortunatly the casual work continues to take back burner to the longterm job search.

Newsworthy is also the confirmation of my good character by the PSNI and UK police service. Something that quite suprised me, since I thought that the NI police had dirt on everyone, even if it was made up. So that's an official green light to the final visa application. Now it's just a case of getting everything togeather in one application.

Going to bed lastnight I mentioned that K had only 4 hours till she had to get up again, to which she answered, "What's it matter to you, you don't have to get up at all". And to be honest, that's certainly how I feel, I wish I didn't have to get up to call recruiters all day and leave messages with their receiptions which will never be answered. I really wish I could just work in a bar for 6 months. Unfortunatly, that would be the death knoll for any professonal career in Australia.
As one recruiter told me, "you could always try your hand at working as a recruiter, it's easier than getting a Job". Indeed, all the recruiters I've spoken to sofar, are infact english rather than Ozzie.

Anyway, I'm rambling now... time to talk to some receiptionists again. Bye. D.
P.S. Chin up, as my da would say, "Don't let the bastards get you down!"

No comments:

Post a Comment